Seeking the Truth Behind the Pomp and Pageantry of the World

POMP - STATELY OR BRILLIANT DISPLAY; OSTENTATIOUS SHOW OR DISPLAY

PAGEANTRY - EMPTY SHOW; FLASHY DISPLAY.

Pomp & CIRCUMSTANCE
fact or FICTION?
you judge
the CONTRADICTION

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The First Word Was Light...

The 18th century German/Czech philosopher/poet and religious mystic Rainer Maria Rilke wrote a series of Love Poems to God and one of them is here. This particular selection can be found in the Rilke's Book of Hours. I thought it was significant and should be posted here. At first, I am only going to post the poem and leave the meaning out, letting those who read it to interpret for themselves. Later, I may include my interpretation. Although I think when it comes to things like this, everyone should form their own opinion.

Your first word of all was light.
and time began. Then for long you were silent.

Your second word was man, and fear began,
which grips us still.

Are you about to speak again?
I don't want your third word.

Sometimes I pray: Please don't talk.
Let all your doing be by gesture only.
Go on writing in faces and stone
what your silence means.

Be our refuge from the wrath.
that drove us out of Paradise.

Be our shepherd, but never call us -
we can't bear to know what's ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment